Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Indie-Mainstream Phenomenon

I hate how mainstream is becoming indie and indie is becoming mainstream. We saw it last year with the Oscars, would Brokeback Mountain or Capote even been nominated let's say even 15 years ago. I miss the days when you went to certain theatres for certain movies. I hate now how I go to the local Megaplex and see such treasures as Little Miss Sunshine and The Queen in the listings. I want to see Blood, Gore and Guts Part III there or Boy Meets Girl in a Shopping Mall: The Reunion. So now, those cute little theatres with the coffee and various biscottis are now stuck with showing extremely out-there, out-there films or to buy in on this bastard of cinematic genres, and many are doing the latter to my dismay. Soon, the subtitled films will turn to the dark, oh I mean, mainstream side.
Actually, I respect the Oscars for this trend. It shows that Hollywood is now gaining some intelligence as a whole, but don't they understand that the American public needs crap so that they can go on in their daily lives. I don't want to go see a movie that shows anything remotely realistic. I want to go and see complete fantasy. For if I see very relatable performances and stories, then I will go home and think "why is my life not like that?", "why didn't I get the happy ending?", "if I'm so similar to her, don't I deserve success as much as she does?", etc. I want to go see a film that heightens my expectations on life, but really doesn't. It's like watching a horror film and being scared shitless of the clown. The whole time you know that it's not real, but it still effects you.
The problem with the more "real" acting and storylines is like the nightmare of that clown that just won't leave you alone. It eats away at you until one day you start seeing the clown in your day-to-day life; at the end of your bed, in your desk at work, sitting at a table right behind your date's head, etc. What's the point of making a film if it's only actors acting out a documentary? Where's the creativity, the resounding meaning? A movie must have a purpose, and life to this point has no answer to what exactly its purpose is. A movie makes us believe that, yes there is a reason that I get my coffee here every morning so that someday my Prince Charming will spill his latte all over me and wisk me away to his fairytale castle, this is of course after we make complete asses of ourselves in hilarious hijinks.
Even though I go into such an elaborate description, I know that it will never happen and that it is not real. I know this because actual life is never that easy, that simple, that well-defined. It is confusing and fuzzy and that is all that you can rely on in this world. And films give us life, but in our own terms, in a way that we can relate and possibly attempt to understand it. In film we see specific actions and reactions, but in life there is not always cause and effect. There is not always reason. That's why sometimes I think God is a screenwriter and earth is a script that keeps getting sidetracked in sub-plots. At some point, hopefully before the end of the third act, we will see a point, a theme, a something that connects it all together.

1 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

YOU'RE MY HERO.

8:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home